55. Eight weeks.

gr

Well here we are. I’ve officially passed the halfway mark. It’s all downhill from here. For those that are new here, I’m doing 100 posts in 100 days. And trying to get 60 000 views. And failing. I am still getting pretty much half the views I had aimed for. The graph I have been making has no magical uptick in it. It’s rising at a slow and steady 45 degrees. Which appeals to me aesthetically. Or that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

Straight and unwavering like an elegantly crafted used-pallet table lifted at an angle.

This makes it look like things are just getting better and better as time goes by, but that’s just a case of lies, damn lies, and statistics being hard at work. The 45 degree graph is accumulative. It was always going to go upwards. But if you look at it from a views-per-day point of view, it’s been pretty flat. Which is not to say I’m unhappy- my blog is doing better than it ever has. It’s just not doing the 600 views a day I had naively aimed for.

As flat and smooth as a cleverly repurposed piece of industrial furniture put together by a naturally gifted carpenter.

There is trouble on the horizon. The children broke up from school this week. We’re stuck at home with them for the foreseeable future. Which is nice. But not good for daytime blogging. I’m going to have to shuffle my schedule around a bit so that I’m free to act as a ref in the 23 thorns version of Wrestlemania. On top of that, the boy-child got a PlayStation for his birthday today. The TV room is about to become a real-time re-enactment of the battle of the Ypres.

It’s a double edged sword. Children, given enough freedom, and a little bit of subtle goading, are endlessly entertaining. I’ll have lots to blog about, but less time to do it in. Oh, well. I suppose the whole point of this was to challenge myself. Even if it is tiring.

Just thinking about it makes me want to lie myself down on an elegantly crafted but, unbelievably, home-made objet d'art.

Just thinking about it makes me want to lie myself down on an elegantly crafted but, unbelievably, home-made objet d’art.

The challenge has begun already. The week started normally enough. I blogged about the Tokolosh, a mythical South African beast. I wrote another whole post about a tree, because I like to push my follower’s levels of tolerance. I wrote about a guy who’s spending two weeks in a hot tub at a mall around the corner, because there’s a guy spending two weeks in a hot tub at a mall around the corner. I wrote about owls. Because I am compelled to make light of every single creature that lives in South Africa’s wildest area, the Lowveld.

And then things got interesting. School broke up for the holidays on Friday. I celebrated by buying a pile of used pallets and making a coffee table. Which was fun. But didn’t leave much room for blogging. I dashed off a quick post about hobbies. I didn’t like it. It felt rushed. Featureless. Wooden.

But hopefully with a little bit of character, like well-sanded, attractively-stained repurposed wood.

Luckily, it turns out that there are lots of people out there with peculiar connections to stamp collecting. It actually went down quite well. Saturday’s post was even more rushed. I didn’t even know what I was going to write about until eleven o’clock at night. Luckily, the news came to my rescue. Some demented freak just bought Justin Bieber’s used vest for a large sum of money. I dashed off another quick post about collecting, which was basically just a repeat of the hobbies post. I was worried about that one, too. I hadn’t given myself enough time. It felt a bit flat. Second hand. Tired and worn out.

Which is stunningly attractive in an outdoor fixture that someone might have made in a driveway on a Friday afternoon, but not so much in a blog post.

Luckily, it turns out there are lots of people out there with a peculiar affection for Bieber’s diaper-pants. It seems to have gone down OK too. Which is a good thing, ‘cos that’s how things are going to be for a while. Not only are the kids at home all week, we’re going away, too. We’ll see how that goes.

Maybe they can do arts and crafts in beautiful surroundings.

Maybe they can do arts and crafts in beautiful surroundings.

Anyhow, eight weeks down, six or so to go. Wish me luck. Here’s today’s vote. I know that I had promised to post a picture of the used pallet coffee-table I was making, but I don’t want to seem self-satisfied and boastful. You decide;

29 thoughts on “55. Eight weeks.

1. Nylabluesmum says:

You gotta aim high….mind you the higher you aim the farther you may fall; unless tree branches break your fall. Seriously your blogs are amazing & I have brought some bloggie friends to your blog & they are now ‘followers’…you have ‘followers’!! How cool is THAT???
    On my blog (Ok Nylablue’s blog) I have NO ‘followers’…it’s all about Nylablue…she has ‘followers’…I am the mortal typist 🙂
    You are a lucky lucky man!!!
    Sherri-Ellen

2. Johna Till Johnson says:

I’m doing my best on the views! Unfortunately WordPress is too smart for us.. I can’t “re-view” pages and have them count… but I LOVE the blog.

Any chance you’ll keep up the “post a day” afterwards? It really seems to be working for you!

3. holmesr64 says:

Hee hee, love the refashioned industrial item. I don’t know if ti will help, but I will commit to viewing all your past and future posts.

4. Hank. says:

…So where’s the photo of the coffee table?

5. I’m currently using an old trunk I built some legs for as a coffee table so used pallets look quite sophisticated 🙂

6. albertine says:

If it’s any comfort, I have visited your blog more than I have visited any other blog. Ever. Except for my good friend Val. That may not be saying a lot, as most other blogs are one-hit wonders (excluding mine, of course, which has something for everyone, even medievalists). Hmmm – actually, that’s still quite a nice bit of back-handed praise: your blog is consistently re-visitable. Sorry I can’t boost your daily hit rate by more than just me. (Does the reblogging help at all?)
    Also, if there was a prize for stimulating the lengthiest and most literate comments, you could go in for that too.

School holidays…industrial strength corfee table with wheels. Your son must be grinning with delight…”Yaaay Dad, you made a giant skateboard!”

8. Mary Southon says:

You put wheels on that sucker?! Now, THAT’S craftsmanship!

I want to know. Why is easier to make a coffee table out of used pallets than to fix that small piece of carpentry that’s been pleading pathetically for help for years? Some male out there must have an answer.

So is that the coffeetable you were going on about? Well, it’s not all bad… there are plenty of holes to stuff unwanted broccoli into…

You ARE still married, aren’t you?

“The boy got a playstation for his birthday today”…and let the bonding begin! I love that you are pretending that the boy is going to actually play the playstation Mr23Thorns. I love that you aren’t even intimidating that you are going to be showing him how to play, helping him with hints and tips and actively hogging the playstation to the wide-eyed incredulity of your son. All fathers do it. My son had that very self-same wide eyed incredulity when his father bought him a Scalextric set of slot cars for his 9th birthday and proceeded to “show him how to use it” for the next 5 years. Every time my son would even look towards the spare room where the scalextric was set up temptingly waiting to be used, my ex would find a hurried excuse to need to be within close proximity to that door and would need to be in there first. It’s a competitive thing Mr23Thorns…a father son thing that involves you having to compete with your son in the guise of having a good time. When your son starts to roll his eyes you have overstepped the father-son-funtime mark ;).I have to take a break there and say that Mrs23 Thorns appears to have developed some kind of crick in her back. It would seem she developed it whilst attempting to enhance the value of your gorgous hand-made er…pallets on industrial coasters. If you are selling “functionality” you might get away with it BUT if you are selling comfort, that image might just be doing a little bit of damage to your credibility. You might want to think about adding some kind of padding to the top of your “coffee table” (so called because when you tell people it is a “coffee table” they cough 😉 ).
    Steve has forgiven you for your recent comments about his pomminess and is going to attempt to use his new animation skills to animate your Tokolosh. He feels that is might be a worthy contender in our “use your imagination” animation assignment for our (unsuspecting) lecturer. Cheers for the idea and do you have any paint cans lying around we could borrow for a bit, Steve made me get rid of all of ours (and I KNEW we needed them for a reason! :(…) Loving the patina on that cough-coughee table by the way sir. It must have taken you ages to rub that lovely green chemical tainted pine into silky smoothness and to ensure that they all married together in a peasing homage to your carpentry skills.As a coffee table you did manage to get the ends nice and even. As a stage for a ballarina (which this wonderfully movable pallet creation is no doubt going to be utilised for), an oversized skateboard for the son-and-heir whilst his dad is “just having a turn on the playstation son…” or as someplace for Mrs 23Thorns to put her pot plants on it might be just the ticket. By the way, you didn’t give me an option that I would have wanted to tick so I didn’t vote today. I would have liked the option “HA!” to be made available sir.

• Crick in my neck! HA! I’m Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys. On a splintery table. In floral trousers. In a winter garden.

er…I might just have missed the Baker Boys nuance Mrs 23Thorns, all I could see was the pained expression on your face, the back arched in an obviously painful pose and your arms raised up in a “GOD HELP ME!” sort of way…sorry if I missed the staging…I was always a plebian with Art Appreciation…

Mrs 23thorns is not posing on the coffee-table. That’s how we move her around the garden. It’s important that we expose her to a little sunlight every now and then. It stocks her up on vitamin-D and chases all the bats out of her hair.

She won’t keep those shapely legs if you perambulate her around Mr23 Thorns, she will lose all of her muscle tone and will become one with the coffee table… or is that your plan! (sharp inhalation!)… (note to self…maybe it’s time to watch a little less Crime Chanel…)…

Just until I get her to the top of the hill. She is a cautious soul, and all of this has been my way of introducing her to extreme sports. Adrenaline works wonders for muscle tone.

Mrs23 Thorns should have toned the hell out of her cheek muscles and epiglottis from screaming by the time she gets down the other side…